"Stairways to the Belfry" photograph by Edna Barney
Aquia Church dates from February 17th, 1754 when it was severely damaged by fire, three days before the completion of its construction. The haunting of the church began with a murder more than two hundred years ago.
"A young woman was violently murdered by one or more highway men. She was murdered in the chapel and her body was hidden in the belfry. The chapel was not in use and it was several years before her body was found. Her skeletal remains with her long golden hair were discovered and the legend began. Her blood stains where visible of the floor boards for 100 years, until a new cement floor was put in the early 20th century. The most common reported phenomenon is the loud sounds of a struggle, the sound of running up and down the belfry stairs, and the appearance of a terrified woman standing at a window."
Story from "The Haunted Aquia Church"